Dark Spot Designs recently released an updated of their Fennec Fox. It’s been a few years and several avatars between the old Fennec and the new, meaning that this latest update shows how far that the creator has come.
Out of the Box:
Build and Skin:
- This avatar retains the markings and the general look of the v1 Fennec, but uses the amount of detail and coloring skills that the creator has developed in the recent year. The skin looks well colored and ‘painted,’ providing the avatar with a fuzzy-looking fur and vibrant colours. The quality of textures remains continuous over all of the avatar’s attachments.
- In the matter of sculpts and such, this avatar holds together very well with minimal seams and overall above-average sculpts. In terms of avatar design and construction, this may well be the best that Dark Spot Designs has offered to date, especially in regards to the head.
- Both sexes come with this avatar, with females and males receiving ‘mature’ skins. (Warning, link rated MATURE. Click to view Male and Female Mature Skins)
- We’ll start off with the feet as usual. DSD has made a bit of a name for itself by creating very decent feet and legs for its avatars. That trend continues here with the option for users to wear digitigrade or plantigrade lower limbs. Invisiprims are turned on by default, but can be turned off with the HUD, and the user can wear the alpha layer instead. Additionally, users can change the textures of the tips of their toes, paw-pads, and the claw colours as well. Both the digitigrade and the plantigrade options have been very well put together with good shading where appropriate, and an overall strong visual presentation. Also, the claws are retractable. Rather than explain them all, view the photo above shows all the lower limb options.
- Next up, we’ll discuss the tail. As always, DSD opts for flexible-prim based tails with many options for users to modify the tail’s fluffiness, length, and more. The tail itself is well textured and matches the rest of the body with the slightly rustic texturing applied to the underside. There’s also a secondary version of the tail available in the “Accessories” folder. The black tip is replaced with white instead.
- Then, we have the hands. It seems that DSD has been gradually making their attachments more refined; the hands are at a very appropriate size that don’t look too overbearing and there’s an almost perfect 50-50 cross between hand and paw. Like the feet, users can change the textures of each paw-pad, the finger textures, and the claws. The claws are retractable here as well.
- At last, we’ve reached the centerpiece of the avatar, the head. It’s very easily identifiable as a Fennec, thanks to features like the small muzzle the head-shape, as well as the signature ears.
- One prominent facial feature to this avatar are the eyes, which come with all the options of the recent DSD avatars, but with a few tweaks to the eye textures. The eyeballs are slitted by default, but users are able to choose from 5 different pupil shapes and 3 different iris textures. In the past, we did mention that some of the iris textures were not as good as they could have been with certain DSD avatars but DSD has stepped up to the game to push this avatar to have stronger eye textures. Over the past few avatar, I believe that DSD now offers the most options in regards to eye customisation.
- The avatar also comes with 6 eyebrow expressions; each done in such a way to make the face emote a mood strongly. Users have multiple options here in toggling eyebrow/eyelid state during speech, away, busy, and even blink speed.
- Next, we’ll take a quick peek at the muzzle. DSD has continued their good work on this avatar by creating a very competent muzzle that imitates a Fennec’s very well. The textures both inside and outside are very detailed, making the muzzle a very high point to the face. The muzzle expression is neutral, yet enigmatic, giving the face a naturally friendly look. Users can stick their tongue out in a variety of different positions to enhance the facial expression as well. The only criticism we can really give the head is that the muzzle could have benefited from less jet-black whiskers; and instead perhaps a slightly lighter, or possible semi-transparent tint. This would make the whiskers look a bit softer and less wire-like when zooming the camera away from the face. (Edit: Chrome brought it to my attention that you can change the colour of the whiskers, through the HUD so you can make them less visually stark! Thanks, Chrome!)
- We’ll also take a quick moment to give DSD some recognition for a well-textured and designed nose as well. The face overall has a very cute, aesthetic presence, making this one of the most expressive faces that this creator has made to date.
- Finally, before we leave the topic of the head, we’ve got the signature Fennec ears. The ears are very true to Fennec fashion; large and quite moveable, twitching and swiveling on their own, as well as when they’re directed to by the user. The semi-transparent fluff also gives this avatar just the right look to the ears themselves. Shown above is a photo of the avatar’s two hair options.
Features and Heads-Up Display:
This avatar comes with a very cute and well drawn Fennec as the Minimise/Maximise button and main screen, and a completely revamped HUD style altogether. The text is nicely easy to read, the buttons are clear, and it’s very user-friendly. While the functionality stayed the same, we give DSD a thumbs up on the redesign of their HUD template!
Dark Spot Designs always chalks their avatars full of little extras in the “Accessories” folder. We’ll discuss them quickly here.
- Box of Alpha Textures (Self-Explanatory)
- Plantigrade Feet
- Fennec Head and Ears with piercings. – As usual, DSD has offered a copy of this avatar with a whole plethora of ear and face piercings. Users are able to change the colour of many of these piercings, and choose which ones to show or hide. We’ll leave this topic with the comment that the creator never ceases to amaze us with how much thought goes into making new piercing styles and arrangements.
- The Type 1 Alternate Legs
- A “Little Devil” that sits on the shoulder of the avatar. Unscripted, but a rather cute accessory.
- Mature version of the Skin
- Finally, we’ve got the leg-warmers which have been re-added as one of the defining features of DSD avatars. After clicking and holding on the leg-warmers for a few seconds, users can change each of 3 settings; leading to a number of excellent striped colour combinations. The style used for these leg-warmers is the best to date from DSD.
This avatar comes as being modifiable and copiable. Therefore, users can easily modify their avatar and have a little fun with the look. Third-party hairs fit this avatar well because of the head’s dimensions and size.
The Dark Spot Designs Fennec Fox V2 is a well-thought-out update with all of the creator’s new style and skills brought in to improve the aging avatar. This avatar manages to also be the strongest avatar that this company has provided to date, with its more expressive face, warm-coloured textures, compliment of accessories and more. As well, the new HUD style is much more readable and easier to use than in prior DSD avatars, which makes navigating the complex functions a lot easier. If readers are looking for a little bit of a modern, up-to-date Fennec with character, the Dark Spot Designs Fennec 2 can easily be considered one of your choices.